Chief Forestry Officer: Captain Jack Turner M.B.E., M.C.
Link here to a
biography by Dr. Mel Baker and Janet Miller Pitt. Use your 'BACK'
button to return here
(Permission to link kindly provided by Dr. Mel Baker)
District 1: Superintendent Joseph Curran Returned
to NF in 1943 / Replacement was J.G. Martin, then Tom Curran assumed the
position in 1944
Headquarters initially at Beauly then Muir-of-Ord, Ross-Shire.
District 2 : Superintendent A.R. Hubbard / Headquarters at Carrbridge, Inverness-shire He later became a member of the Canadian Forestry Corp, which
was a Canadian military organization also active in Britain during that time period. He died in action at a later date.
District 3 : Superintendent Edgar Baird / Headquarters at Ballater, Aberdeenshire. Baird enlisted in the Royal Air Force later on.
District 4 : Superintendent B.A. Fraser / Headquarters at Kershopefoot then Galashiels. He went on to a position with Bowater-Lloyd in Britain. This position was
filled by Charles Cahill of the Newfoundland Department of Natural Resources.
Three new district offices were established in 1940 at
Kingussie, Invernessshire,at Lochgilphead and at Perth.
Three new superintendents were also appointed: Peter Petipas, Clarence Lingard and Brendan Davis.
Clarence Lingard was later appointed Maintenance Superintendent, based in Carrbridge. Austin Baird was named his assistant and Herb Taylor foreman.
The Unit moved to the north, and three new Districts were
District 'A' / Headquarters were at Muir-of-Ord, under B. Davis
District 'B' / Headquarters at Carrbridge with Tom Curran as superintendent, then under J.G. Martin after Curran was relocated to Muir-of-Ord.
District 'C' / Headquarters at Kingussie, Invernessshire. Pete Petipas was superintendent.
Chief welfare officer was H.G. Penfold, based in carrbridge.
In 1942 he became Chief Welfare Officer, with J.S. Logan Welfare Officer
for District 'A', Leo Bruce in District 'B', and Bert Sexton in District
Construction superintendent was Matt Yetman.
Road building superintendent: Maurice Taylor.
Carpentry superintendent: John Granville.
The number of men in each district was somewhere between
400 and 600. One foreman, and one assistant foreman was assigned to each
camp. A sub foreman
was in charge of each group of twenty men. Each camp was responsible for its own clerical staff and catering. Supplies were obtained from District Office, with supplements such as perishables coming from local suppliers.