DEBBIE CARROLL is a children's performer, songwriter and music educator. A multi-instrumentalist, she plays piano, flute, Celtic harp, guitar and fretted dulcimer. Her vast collection of children's songs and rhymes includes new and traditional fingerplays, action songs, dances and lullabies. For over fifteen years, Debbie has taught early childhood music, first at the Young Children's Creative Music and Movement Classes (Toronto), and later at The Kingsway Conservatory of Music (Etobicoke). Debbie has mentored other early childhood music teachers in both private sessions and group workshops. She enjoys sharing music in a variety of settings, including classrooms, libraries, festivals, and private celebrations.
Debbie received her Bachelor of Musical Arts and Bachelor of Education degrees from the University of Western Ontario, London, and the Advanced Certificate in Early Childhood Music Education from the Royal Conservatory of Music and Ryerson University, Toronto. Debbie is an executive member of The Early Childhood Music Association of Ontario.
Debbie's first CD "Up and Over the Moon!" (Merriweather Records) won a 2003 Parents' Choice Award and a 2003 Children's Music Web Award. In 2004 she was nominated for a Canadian Independent Music Award - "Favourite Children's Artist". A second CD of children's music, "Simply Beautiful", is scheduled for release in 2007.
Debbie lives in Toronto, Canada, with her family and three cats. She likes to read books, work in her garden, and get together with musical friends. Debbie would love to hear from you! Send her an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
COMING VERY SOON:
A new CD for children - "SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL - sing, dance, dream!" - available very soon! Watch debbiecarroll.com for more information, plus an all new look to the web site!!
- Friday Afternoon Music Circle. Beverley Jr. School, Toronto, Ontario. March 23, 2007
- Stories Behind the Songs - M.O.P.S. (Mothers of Pre-Schoolers), Toronto, Ontario. February 28, 2007
- HEAD AND SHOULDERS, TEACUPS AND ELEPHANTS! Songs for kids and grownups too. The Common Thread Community Chorus 1st annual Sing-along-athon. February 10, 2007.
- Sing-Along with Debbie Carroll. Concert for young children and their grownups. North York Central Library. December 29, 2006.
- S is for Sing. Professional development workshop led by Debbie Carroll for children's librarians, as part of Speakers Series with Prof. Lynne McKechnie (U.W.O.) - "Young Children, Public Libraries and Reading". North York Central Library. September 27, 2006
- Started TEAKETTLE PRESS - www.teakettlepress.com - Winter, 2006
- Flying Dragon Bookshop (2 children's concerts), Toronto, Ontario. May 2, 2006
- Annual Common Thread Community SIng-a-long - Elephants, Bunnies and a Pot of Tea. Cecil Street Community Centre, Toronto, Ontario. March 15, 2006.
- Celebrating Songs and Stories - 'Simply Beautiful! Songs for Storytime' professional development workshop. North York Central Library, Toronto, Ontario. November 17, 2005.
- Summerfest: Songs for Children and Grownups, with Debbie Carroll. Breslau, Ontario. June 14, 2005
- The Chequegnat Festival, Kitchener, Ontario. Songs with guitar, mandolin and banjo. Debbie Carroll and Bob Birnie. June 4, 2005
- Pillows, Ponds, Puddles and PJ's Concert, with musician Debbie Carroll and storytellers Sandra Carpenter-Davis and Donna Dudinsky. Pegasus School of Dance, Toronto, Ontario. April 30, 2005
- 50 Songs in 100 Minutes. Workshop led by Debbie Carroll for The Early Childhood Music Association of Ontario, with the assistance of students and parents of The Kingsway Conservatory of Music. Toronto, Ontario. April 17, 2005.
- Moms and Tots: Singing Time with Debbie Carroll. Caronport, Saskatchewan. March 24, 2005
- Songs for Young Families, with Debbie Carroll. Open house concert at Diaper-eez, Toronto, Ontario. February 22, 2005
- Singing Time with Debbie Carroll. The Flying Dragon Book Shop, Toronto, Ontario. January 25, February 1, 2005
- Songs and Dances in the Classroom, with Debbie Carroll. Sunnyview School, Toronto, Ontario. January 27, 2005
- 2004 Canadian Independent Music Award Nomination - Favourite Children's Artist or Group
- 'Celebrating The Week of the Child!'. Concert by Debbie Carroll, with Eve Goldberg. Northern District Public Library, Toronto, Ontario. October 18, 2004
- The Friends of Hamish Robertson Concert, Toronto, Ontario. Performance benefit in support of the IMAGO project. February 28, 2004
- 2003 Children's Music Web Award - for CD 'Up and Over the Moon!'
- 2003 Parents' Choice Award - for CD 'Up and Over the Moon!'
- Songs for The Summer Reading Club with Special Guest Debbie Carroll , with Jeff Morrison (children Ages 5 and under). Barbara Frum Library, Toronto, Ontario. July 22, 2003
- The Unicorn Ball - a fundraiser for The Temmy Latner Centre for Palliative Care, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Ontario Debbie Carroll on Celtic harp with Jeff Morrison on guitar. June 19, 2003.
- The Chequegnat Festival - Kitchener, Ontario. Songs with Celtic harp and guitar. Debbie Carroll and Jeff Morrison. June 7, 2003
- Mooredale Nursery School Concerts - Toronto, Ontario. Songs and dances with Debbie Carroll. April 24, 2003
- Acoustic Harvest Folk Club - Toronto, Ontario. Debbie Carroll, with Jeff Morrison and Martin Gould. Opening set for Ken Perlman, James Stephens, and Nathan Curry. March 22, 2003
- Law Day 2002: A Ceremony to celebrate the 20th Anniversary of the Proclamation of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms and Launch of the Ontario Justice Education Network. The Law Society of Upper Canada, Osgoode Hall, Toronto, Ontario - Debbie Carroll on Celtic harp, with Martin Gould on guitar. April 15, 2002
- 'Up and Over the Moon! : giggle, dance and cuddle songs for the very young' (Merrweather Records MDC03). Released March 17, 2002
- Bram Morrison (of Sharon, Lois & Bram): A Family Concert, with Jeff Morrison and Debbie Carroll. A fundraiser for Learning Through the Arts. Earl Haig Secondary School, Toronto, Ontario - November 12, 2000
- 'Ragged but Right' - Appalachian Dulcimer workshop, with Kathy Reid-Naiman, Debbie Carroll and Sandy Byer. The Free Times Cafe, Toronto, Ontario. November 8, 1998
- "Up and Over the Moon! Giggle, Dance and Cuddle Songs for the Very Young" (Merriweather MDC03). 2003 Parents' Choice Award, 2003 Children's Music Web Award.
Photograph copyright © Arne Glassbourg